- Statistics gathered from 1994 indicate domestic violence causes almost 100,000 days of hospitalization, 30,000 emergency room visits, 40,000 trips to the doctor every year, and 50% of all homeless women and their children are fleeing domestic violence. In the US, male partners beat almost 4 million women every year
- In batterer’s groups over 50% of battering men came from backgrounds where the male in their family was either very violent or controlling.
- %94 of victims are under age 18
- %80 are under age 30
- %50 of all homeless women and children are fleeing violence.
- Less than %20 of battered women seek medical attention after any injury from abuse
- Center for disease control estimates that the cost of domestic violence in 2003 was more than 8.3 billion
- Out of 223 cases reviewed where battered women killed their abusers, %75 were in the middle of confrontation or assault